STRIPES & POLKA DOTS







Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter


Saturday, October 08, 2005

Sink or Swim

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My guess is that meaning gets lost in the details.

My meticulous way of looking at life has diminished my purpose into nothing. My fantastic vision of what my life would be, has reduced me into an ambitiously unsuccessful jack-of-all trades. Worse, a useless joker in a deck of casino cards.

I think I may have daydreamed too much, planned too much, shared too much. Now I’m thinking too much. In all these excesses I have drowned in confusion and lost my self.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Our high school guidance counselor telling me during career counseling that I could “excel” (I assumed she also meant “succeed”) in anything I wanted to get into may have been my life’s curse. It ushered me into the world of complacency, assured that nothing could go wrong in anything I’d choose to do. I never even made a conscious, deliberate decision in choosing a college course. I don’t know if she’d been wrong after all. She could have said SOMETHING specific. I would have pursued it with all the passion required. (Now I remember my Grade 5 teacher telling me to look first before I dive --- I keep jumping even if there’s no water in the pool. That kind of confidence will get me nowhere.)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well now I realize after seven years, our guidance counselor might as well have said I’d suffer a life of mediocrity for being good at everything* (which is really not what I had planned and worked my ass for. Thanks, but no thanks, Aristotle.). I heard once that people tend to be happy in what they’re good at. This means my happiness could have been everywhere, but for lack of comparison, I’m no different from a fish unaware that water exists. You don’t know it exists, you’ll never find it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So maybe that’s why I’m in this abysmal state. I found out that beyond the waters I’ve been living in, there’s air. I’ve been plain happy all my life (not that I’m an ingrate). But there is greatness and there is loss. I’m caught smack in the middle of it all, and I’d die outside water. The best I’d get is swim around a bowl forever and watch how other creatures fly, walk, dance, and swim like myself. And I have to keep swimming, lest I sink…. Or float. I don’t even know which is worse.

*DAW.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Posted by xam :: Saturday, October 08, 2005 :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------