STRIPES & POLKA DOTS







Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter


Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Remembering the Portia Ball

This is a poem i wrote last February, and it's about the much-dreaded cotillion dance (part of the initiation process of every Portian) every ball. I dreaded the cotillion, it being soooooo highschool-ish! But they say it's a proud tradition of Portia, since God knows when! So I had to go through it. I was worried Ibn would hate the cotillion, but noooooo. Ibn was really serious about it, reprimanding me for all those times I forgot cotillion practices, and ridiculing me for not remembering the steps. He wanted us to practice just about anywhere --- in my room, in the sala, in our house in Paranaque, at the arcade parking lot, in a videoke place... But I blame Kevin, our blockmate / dance instructor (Portia calls him Kevin Cotillion, hehehe). Instead of the usual one -- two -- three, it was a onetwothree!! It was just so fast! It wasn't like the usual waltz but a really fast one. And he had this really difficult step, the "natural turn" and it was sooooo hard! You'll go around in circles repetitively along with other couples going around in circles. It's a lot like being earth - you rotate and you revolve. It was soo hard, but it was, I have to admit, also nice. We danced to "She's Always A Woman To Me." Well here's the poem!


A Natural Turn of Events

i count
one, two-three
one, two-three
the waltz, spinning.
the world around me
crumbles,
oblivious
no time, no music,
no one.

you, me,
our feet
our arms
around each other.
twirling

and i dance like a clown
1 - 2 - 3 - 1-
but I'm always a Woman
2 - 3 - 1-2-3 -- 1-2-3
to You
1-2-3
one, two-three
one, two-three

bow/curtsy.
1-2-3

Labels:


Posted by xam :: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------